ZONING PERMIT: REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING REGULATED ACTIVITIES:
- Erection, construction, movement, placement, relocation or expansion of a structure, building or sign
- Change of the type of use or expansion of the use of a structure or area of land
- Creation of a lot or alteration of lot lines
- Creation of a new use
- Demolition of a principal building, or partial demolition of the exterior of a principal building
- Site alterations or mineral extraction as defined by §27-202 of the Zoning Ordinance
- Excavation or grading in preparation for the construction of a building or a change in use of a property
GRADING PERMIT: REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING REGULATED ACTIVITIES:
- Construction of a principal residential structure.
- Construction of a non-residential addition or accessory structure with a footprint greater than or equal to 500 square feet.
- Construction of a residential addition or accessory structure with a footprint greater than or equal to 500 square feet.
- Work involving 2,000 square feet or more of new impervious coverage, both on-lot and within the public right-of-way.
- Work involving 5,000 square feet or more of site alterations, both on-lot and within the public right-of-way.
- Construction of a new, or expansion of an existing, parking area by 5 or more paved parking spaces.
- Installation of a new, underground, public utility lateral or pipe, including storm water, sanitary sewer, and potable water service, whether on-lot or within the public right-of-way.
- Replacement or repair of an existing, underground, public utility lateral or pipe, including storm water, sanitary sewer, and potable water service, whether on-lot or within the public right-of-way.
- Opening and/or excavating within and/or under the public right-of-way.
- Installation of curbing, driveway curb-cuts, and sidewalks, when not previously approved as part of a land development project.
- The construction or replacement of a retaining or free-standing wall twenty-four (24) inches high or greater or three (3) feet long or greater.
- Replacement or repair of curbing, driveway curb-cuts, and sidewalks, when not previously approved as part of a land development project.
- Trees to be removed and/or replaced within the required eighteen (18) month maintenance period of an approved land development, subdivision, or construction project, as regulated by the Salisbury Township Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance (Chapter 22).
- Removal of trees with a canopy area of 10,000 square feet or greater, excluding:
- Trees to be removed by a utility company, or its authorized agents, in order to maintain the existing utilities.
- Trees to be removed as part of an approved tree harvesting operation when the value of the trees, logs, or other timber products removed exceeds $2,000 per calendar year.
- Trees to be removed as part of an approved Christmas tree farm or other crop farming use.
- Trees to be removed as part of an approved land development, subdivision, or construction project.
- The reconfiguration and/or movement of site improvements previously approved as part of a land development project. This shall include the relocation of parking spaces and driving aisles.
ON-LOT PRIVATE SEPTIC/ SEWER SYSTEMS:
- Contact Lehigh Soils – 610-972-8646 – for applications, inspections, or questions regarding septic systems.
SALISBURY TOWNSHIP BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING REGULATED ACTIVITIES UNDER THE PA UNIFORM CONSTRUCTION CODE (UCC)
BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
NEW CONSTRUCTION, ADDITIONS, & STRUCTURAL ALTERATIONS
- Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Permits are required in existing residential dwellings when notching, boring or cutting structural members.
- Change of Use of an existing structure, decks and patios more than 30 inches above grade.
- Changes to an existing egress (stairway width, landings, headroom, ramps, hallways, required exit door, handrails/guards).
RESIDENTIAL ACCESSORY STRUCTURES:
- With a building area of 1,000 square feet or larger.
- Erected for a period of less than 180 days, provides a place of residence or sleeping for anyone, a place of employment; occupied on a regular basis and has public access.
BUILDING PERMITS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING BUT MUST COMPLY WITH BUILDING CODE REQUIREMENTS – NO INSPECTIONS REQUIRED
- Gutting a home leaving structural framing intact, new drywall, new flooring, new roof coverings, siding, minor non-structural framing, converting a storage basement into a habitable space (non-structural), installing new electrical, plumbing or mechanical systems within an existing structure.
- ACCESSORY STRUCTURES – One-story high detached garage, shed, carport, gazebo, pool house, pergola, and children’s playhouse less than 1,000 square feet of building area are exempt from the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (Zoning Permit required).
- AGRICULTURAL BUILDINGS – Used to store hay, feed, grain, farm implements, house poultry, livestock, milking house, carriage house, and mushroom house are all exempt from construction permits (Zoning Permit required).
- PROPANE – Installation of tubing, piping, and propane gas-burning fixtures. Anything that is, or can be, connected to a source of propane (LP) gas including tanks. Commercial, residential, and industrial structures throughout Pennsylvania.
- TEMPORARY STRUCTURES – Less than 1,600 square feet in size, erected for a period of less than thirty (30) days. Does not include swimming pools or hot tubs (Zoning Permit required).
- UTILITIES – All are exempt
BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- New Construction
- Structural Alterations
BUILDING PERMITS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Counter Tops
- Moveable Cases
- Counters and partitions no higher than five feet nine inches in height
- FIRE LOCK BOX SYSTEM – required on all multi-unit residential buildings of three or more units, commercial buildings, and each unit of a multi-unit commercial building.
- CERTIFICATE OF FIRE INSPECTION – required annually on all multi-unit residential buildings of three or more units, commercial buildings, and each unit of a multi-unit commercial building.
- Contact the Salisbury Township Fire Inspector’s Office to schedule inspections and Lock Box System Installation – 484-661-5887
- Commercial buildings undergoing renovations, alterations or a change of tenant must schedule an inspection with the Salisbury Township Fire Inspector- 484-661-5887.
SCHEDULING INSPECTIONS – RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL
- All inspections must be scheduled with the Township third party Inspection Agency that approved your permit/ plan. The Inspection Company provides a list of required inspections, and contact number that will be included with your approved permit.
- The permit number(s) are required when scheduling inspections.
- The owner or agent is responsible to reimburse the Township for all failed inspection(s) fees.
- All additional fees must be paid in full to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy.
WATER METERS & SERVICE LINES
- Any work involving water meters, meter repair and newly installed meters must be inspected by the Salisbury Township Utilities Department – 484-661-5851.
- Service lines must be copper up to eighteen inches (18″) past the meter. – 4